British Chambers of Commerce Director General Dr Adam Marshall: “The Coronavirus pandemic has taken a heavy toll on business and economic activity across the UK.
“While businesses have welcomed the unprecedented size and scope of the government support packages, our findings highlight the urgent need for that support to reach businesses on the ground as soon as possible. The majority of firms cannot wait weeks or months for help to arrive.”
As the Coronavirus continues to impact the operations of businesses, learn more about the steps that Chambers and members can implement to minimise impact
2) Update on Torbay Council grant applications
- We understand that the council has received around half of the 3000-odd small business grant applications they are expecting. It is taking around 3 weeks to process these applications and a further 3-4 days for the BACS payments to be delivered to company accounts. We don’t believe that any payments have started yet.
- We would encourage businesses who are entitled to such a grant to apply as soon as possible. The instructions can be found here: https://www.torbay.gov.uk/business/business-rates/business-rate-reductions/coronavirus-grants/
- If the delay for this support is the difference between you laying off staff, or going out of business, and surviving – please do contact the TDA (or our Chamber).
3) TBF Virtual Business Breakfast
How is the Coronavirus affecting your business? How can we help each other?
Tune in on Tues 7th April at 8.30-9.15am to join TBF Chair, Steve Reynolds, as he hosts a panel of key Torbay business sector representatives with online Q&As including Tim Jones from SWBC, Torbay Council’s Steve Darling, Alan Denby from TDA, Carolyn Custerson from the ERBID Co, Laurence Frewin from South Devon College, Kate Doodson, COSMIC and Jim Parker from Torbay Weekly. Click here to register: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/4185491528175011853
We wanted to reach out to you at this incredibly difficult time for our local businesses due to the coronavirus pandemic and the subsequent restrictions. We want to reassure you and your members that Torbay Council is working hard to help and support businesses across the Bay.
5) Information from Brixham Chamber members
- Factsheet from local accountancy firm Thomas Westcott
- Accounting4everything – Daily live Coronavirus Update/Q&A at 10.30am https://www.facebook.com/Accounting4Everything/
6) Devon Chamber of Commerce online (zoom) events
- Monday 6th April, 14.00: Leading in Troubled Times – Maintaining Motivation, Engagement and Mental Well-being ‘Working from home’ is now a fact of life for millions of people, while many others experience ‘social distancing’ in the workplace. Both can lead to a sense of isolation, restricting the day-to-day interaction that not only helps people to do their jobs well but which creates the feeling of being part of a team. Yet we’re also seeing a remarkable surge of entrepreneurship and innovation. In our communities and businesses alike people are finding new ways of collaborating and helping each other. Register here: https://crm.devonchamber.co.uk/events/details/chamber-live-virtual-event-on-zoom-1st-week-in-april-7920
7) A general message of support from Brixham Chamber
A lot of local businesses will be finding the current situation very difficult and will struggle financially until normality resumes. As a Chamber we are here for ALL local businesses whether a member of the chamber or not. If there is anything we can do to help with support or advice; if we can talk on your behalf with the council or Devon Chamber of commerce; if you just want someone to chat to – please do get in touch with us. If you email email@example.com we’ll see how our exec team can best help you and one of us will reply.